Beautiful, timeless, family portraits don’t happen by chance… they take planning! Anyone that has planned photos for their family before knows the pain the goes into coordinating clothing that is comfortable, stylish, and reflects the unique personalities of every member in your group can be a daunting task! There are so many things to consider like what colours you should all wear, how should you have your make up or hair that day, will it be hot or cold? Choosing an outfit is probably the most difficult part of it all, and sometimes depending on what you want, it can all become very expensive, but that’s why there are websites like https://www.raise.com/coupons/macys where you can get a lot of discount codes for clothing. So you can feel a little sense of relief there! If you need to hire someone to help with your hair or make up, then so be it! You all want to look your best for the day so you can gain some beautiful photos that you will cherish for the rest of your days. Anyways…
Here are a few tips to help plan your wardrobe for your family portrait session.
- Start with YOU! Choose something you feel comfortable and beautiful in and build from there. It’s easier to plan when you have a direction to begin with.
- Flowing fabrics such as dresses, and skirts with fitted tops are some of the most flattering items for women to wear.
- Well fitting blue jeans paired with boots or sandals, and a great coat, jacket, or vest are another eye pleasing favorite!
- Accessorize! Scarfs, bows, headbands, jewelry, and even a favorite toy or book can make great photos even better!
- Neutrals always work! For a soft look that works well together, combine neutral colors like ivory, beige, and grey; then add a few pops of color!
- Textures! Say yes to textured fabrics like lace, cable knit, faux fur, etc…
- Solid colors work best, and avoid adding more than one piece with strips or patterns.
- Stick with one outfit. Trying to change clothes in the middle of your session takes time, adds stress, and can put kids in a mood.
- Plan for the weather. In the summer dress lightly and in layers you can remove if it get hot. In colder months, dress warmly but remember it can heat up in the sun, even in colder temperatures.
- Don’t forget the shoes. Choose comfortable and stylish shoes. Avoid athletic shoes!
- Consider where you will be displaying your pictures. If your photos will be in a light, airy room filled with neutral colors, go neutral. If you will be using a room filled with bright, cheery colors, choose similar colors for your wardrobe.
What to Wear for Family Photos | Orlando Family Photographer